Unified Development Ordinance (UDO)
The purpose of the Unified Development Ordinance (PDF) is to protect the
- public health
- and general welfare
of the citizens and landowners of Currituck County; and to implement the policies and objectives of county-adopted plans addressing the county’s growth and development.
Currituck County current Unified Development Ordinance was last amended on March 22, 2022.
- Table of Contents (PDF)
- Chapter 1 – General Provisions (PDF)
- Chapter 2 – Administration (PDF)
- Chapter 3 – Zoning Districts (PDF)
- Chapter 4 – Use Standards (PDF)
- Chapter 5 – Development Standards (PDF)
- Chapter 6 – Subdivision and Infrastructure Standards (PDF)
- Chapter 7 – Environmental Protection Standards
- Chapter 8 – Nonconformities (PDF)
- Chapter 9 – Enforcement (PDF)
- Chapter 10 – Definitions and Measurements (PDF)
The zoning map represents zoning designations as listed in the Currituck County Unified Development Ordinance and approved by the Board of Commissioners. For property specific zoning information, the Interactive Online Mapping should be accessed.
The administrative manual (PDF) is intended to assist in the administration of the Unified Development Ordinance. The manual consolidates information in the development review process and helps applicants understand the procedures and requirements. In an effort to ease the review process, the manual also includes:
- application forms,
- review checklists,
- and submittal and fee schedules.
The stormwater manual (PDF) is intended to provide guidance in appropriate BMP selection, design criteria to meet stormwater regulations, and proper BMP maintenance. The manual also includes:
- required forms,
- submittal checklists for stormwater plans,
- and guidance for determining runoff rates.
*Note: the items under the Design Checklists is in Excel.