Children Services

Foster Care/Permanency Planning Service for Children

This service provides counseling and treatment services for children, birth families, or foster families to remedy personal problems, behavior, or home conditions that lead to the need for out-of-home care for children. Click here for more information.

Adoption & Foster Care Services

What is Foster Care?

Foster care is a temporary living arrangement for abused, neglected and dependent children who need a safe place to live when their parents or caretakers cannot take care of them.

What Foster Parents do…

  • Provide basic necessities
  • Encourage positive relationships
  • Protect the child
  • Discipline in a positive way
  • Help the child to grow
  • Work as part of a team
  • Help support and prepare the child for their future

Children available for Foster Care and Adoption are children separated from their parents because of:

  • Physical or sexual abuse
  • Neglect or abandonment
  • Physical or mental illness of a parent
  • Death of parents
  • Child’s emotional or behavioral problems
  • Children from all backgrounds
  • Children with specific needs

General requirements for Foster Parenting and/or Adoption in Currituck County:

  • Be a resident of Currituck County
  • Attend a 30-hour training course
  • Be at least 21 years old
  • Have a stable income
  • Be in good physical and mental health
  • Have the ability to provide good physical, emotional and spiritual care
  • Have a stable family relationship
  • Have enough room for a child
  • Have a telephone
  • Be fingerprinted and have a criminal records check completed
  • Have a home study completed

Who can adopt or become a Foster Parent:

  • People who are single, married, divorced or widowed
  • People who have children and people who don’t
  • People with high and low incomes
  • People who did or did not finish school
  • People who own their home or rent
Protective Services for Children

This service provides for the investigation of:

  • reports of neglect, abuse or dependency of children under the age 18;
  • evaluation of the degree of damage or risk to the child;
  • cooperation with law enforcement agencies to obtain suitable care and services for children in or out of their own homes;
  • and initiation of court action where necessary.

Case management services aimed at alleviating problems causing neglect, abuse, or dependency are also included.

To make a Child Protective Services referral, call 252- 232-3083. When the Department of Social Services offices are closed, a recording will provide instructions on how to make a report.

Do not submitted any reports by email.

Child Care Services

Assistance with the cost of child care is available to parents who are working or going to school, and fall within the income guidelines.

Work First Employment Services

Provides assessment, counseling, and supportive services that enable Work First Family Assistance parents and caretakers to participate in educational and training activities leading to self-sufficiency. Supportive services may include assistance with day care and transportation, and also emergency assistance funds that can be utilized for emergency situations such as utility cut offs and evictions.