North Carolina General Statue 66-71.4 states that
“(a) Before any person engages in business in this State under an assumed business name, the person must file an assumed business name certificate in the office of the register of deeds of the county in which the person is or will be engaged in business. If the person is or will be engaged in business in multiple counties, filing is required in only one of those counties.
(b) A person who engages in business in this State under more than one assumed business name must file an assumed business name certificate for each assumed business name. The person may, however, include no more than five assumed business names in one assumed business name certificate if that same person is or will be engaging in business under each of the assumed business names listed in the certificate…”
North Carolina General Statue 66-71.5 states that “An assumed business name certificate must include:
(1) The assumed business name.
(2) A real name of the person engaging in business under the assumed business name. If the business is a partnership other than a limited liability partnership or limited partnership, the assumed business name certificate must include a real name of five general partners or of each general partner, whichever is fewer.
(3) The nature of the business.
(4) The street address of the principal place of business.
(5) Each county where the person uses or will be using the assumed business name to engage in business.”