Peddler’s / Solicitor’s Permit
Peddler’s/Solicitor’s operating in Currituck County must obtain a permit from the Currituck County Sheriff’s Department.
- Non-Refundable Application Fee of $35.00.
- The Permit fee will include the application fee along with the fingerprint fee.
- Each permit will be valid from the date issued which shall not exceed 60 consecutive calendar days; provided that the permit may be renewed for 60 day periods without limitation, upon proper completion of the renewal application.
- You must present 2 forms of ID, one of which must be a government issued photo ID.
- The applicant is responsible to be familiar with related N.C. General Statute 153A-121, 153A-125, along with the Currituck County Ordinances, specifically Chapter 8, Article V.- Peddlers and Solicitors
Peddler: A person who attempts to sell items on public streets or open areas open to the public.
Solicitor: A person who attempts to sell business goods or services door to door.
- Such peddling/soliciting shall be permitted only between the hours of 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. during Eastern Day Light Time and 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. during Eastern Standard Time.
Application for peddler/solicitor permits shall be submitted to the Currituck County Sheriff’s Office during normal business hours, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time, and shall include, but not be limited to the following information:
- Full name of the applicant
- Permanent residence address of the applicant
- Applicants temporary address in or in the vicinity of the county, if applicable
- Name, address and telephone number of the applicant’s employer or the organization with which the applicant is associated in connection with the sale activity or solicitation of orders
- Type of goods, wares, merchandise, food, periodicals and services to be sold or offered for sale
- Period for which the application is sought, which shall not exceed sixty (60) consecutive calendar days; provided that the permit may be renewed for sixty-day periods without limit, upon proper application
- A record of any and all crimes of which the applicant has been convicted or has pleaded no contest in the ten (10) years preceding the submittal of the application
- Age, height, weight, and any other additional information which the county may reasonably require for identification including a copy of the document(s) used by the applicate to verify personal identification (e.g. driver’s license, passport, picture ID) If the applicant is under 18 years of age, a state issued work permit must be included)
- A complete listing of an information concerning all other permits or licenses, such as privilege licenses, which were obtained by the applicant
- Photograph and fingerprints of the applicant made by the Currituck County Sheriff’s Office
- Peddlers operating motor vehicles on public streets must attach proof of insurance
If an application is filed by the employer, there shall be a separate applications signed and filed for each peddler/solicitor.;