Currituck Citizens Academy
*At this time, the class is full for the 2023 Citizens Academy and we are no long accepting registration. Thank you for your interest, and please check back for future Academy dates.
The Citizens Academy provides an opportunity for Currituck County residents to learn about local government, offering a closer look at the functions of various departments and management of the county.
Each class session will focus on specific departments or topics and will be held in county facilities. The Citizens Academy is free of charge for all participants.
2023 Class Schedule: All classes are held on a Thursday, from 6:00 – 8:15 pm.
- February 2 – Organization, Boards, and Staffing; meet @ the Historic Courthouse
- February 9 – Facilities and Financial Management; meet @ the Public Safety Center
- February 16 – Development Services; meet @ the Public Safety Center
- February 23 – No class
- March 2 – Tax, GIS, and Register of Deeds; meet @ the Currituck Judicial Center
- March 9 – Senior Services and Parks & Recreation; meet @ the Currituck Senior Center
- March 16 – Social Services and Sheriff’s Office; meet @ the Public Safety Center
- March 23 – Emergency Management and Fire-Emergency Medical Services; meet @ the Public Safety Center
- March 30 – No class
- April 6 – Cooperative Extension and Animal Shelter; meet first at Extension, then visit the Animal Shelter
- April 13 – Tourism and Airport; meet @ Currituck Regional Airport
- April 20 – Water; meet @ Mainland Water Plant
- April 27 – Conclusion: “Budgetopolis” final activity and Academy participants’ recognition; meet @ the Public Safety Center