New & Existing Businesses
Are you thinking of:
- starting a new business,
- relocating an existing business,
- or expanding a business
in Currituck County? Here is some important information to consider before you purchase, lease, or rent a property or building.
Planning and Zoning Items to Consider
- Is the property zoned correctly for the intended use?
- Is the property meeting the current county design requirements for the intended use?
- Does a site plan have to be submitted for review?
- Does your project need a formal review by the county’s Technical Review Committee (TRC).
- Are there any outstanding issues with the property?
- Are there any environmental concerns on the property?
For Planning and Zoning questions please contact 252-232-3055.
Building and Fire Code Items to Consider
- Is the existing building changing to a more restrictive occupancy classification where additional improvements may be necessary? ( example a lawyer’s office B (Business) occupancy to a thrift store M (Mercantile) occupancy)
- Does the existing building(s) meet the state building and fire codes for the proposed occupancy classification?
- Does the existing building floor loads meet live/dead loads for the proposed occupancy?
- Does the existing building meet occupant loading for egress (proper number of exits)?
- Does the existing building have the required number of plumbing facilities?
- Is the Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) system properly sized for the proposed occupancy classification?
- Does the existing building meet the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements?
For Building and Fire Code questions please contact 252-232-6023.
Many of these questions require a North Carolina Design Professional to evaluate the existing building for code compliance. Speaking to a Design Professional or our staff before you sign any contracts can save you time and money.
It is important to remember that just because a business was there before does not mean your proposed business can be permitted; some modifications may be required first. Please reach out to our Development Service Department so we can assist you with your project.