Motorists should use caution in school zones
Students in Currituck County Schools began the new school year on August 23, 2021. Motorists throughout the county should be aware of school buses as they pick up and drop off students. Always use caution when driving near a school bus and be prepared to stop if the bus turns on its flashing lights.
Motorists may also experience slight delays when traveling through a school zone at certain times in the mornings and afternoons. The following areas may be congested with school traffic. The Currituck County Sheriff’s Office will have deputies at these locations to help facilitate traffic flow. Please slow down, use caution, and follow all directions of law enforcement.
Shawboro Elementary School (Shawboro Road/NC-34)
- Delays between 7:15 a.m. and 8:00 a.m.; and 2:15 p.m. and 3:15 p.m.
- Alternate Routes if headed toward Camden/Elizabeth City:
- Traveling North on the Caratoke Highway from South of NC-34 (Maple Road/ East Ridge Road)
- Traveling South on Caratoke Highway from North of NC-34 (Snowden Road)
Moyock Elementary School (Tulls Creek Road)
- Delays between 7:00 a.m. and 8:00 a.m.; and 2:00 p.m. and 3:15 p.m.
- Alternate Route if headed toward Virginia on Tulls Creek Road:
- Poyners Road, Guinea Road, Sawyer Town Road
Currituck County High School
- Expect Delays on Caratoke Highway between 7:30 a.m. and 8:30 a.m.; and 2:45 p.m. and 3:45 p.m.