Currituck receives $1M grant to elevate homes

The State of North Carolina and FEMA have approved a hazard mitigation project grant of $1,040,864 to improve disaster resilience in Currituck County. The grant will be used to pay for the elevation of seven flood-prone homes in Corolla, Grandy, Barco, Moyock, Grandy, and Currituck. Funding from FEMA’s Hazard Mitigation Grant Program became available as the result of a federal disaster declaration following Hurricane Florence in 2018.

Because the homes are located in a Special Flood Hazard Area, they have a history of flooding from hurricanes and other storms. Elevating the homes to the Base Flood Elevation plus local freeboard requirements will help prevent the costly repetitive cycle of flood damage and repairs. The elevated structures will be placed on a range of possible foundations, specified by a licensed professional engineer during a feasibility study, and may include piles, columns, curtain walls with footings or concrete masonry units.

“Currituck County is pleased to accept Hazard Mitigation Grant Program funds on behalf of these deserving families,” said Donald I. McRee, Jr., Interim County Manager/County Attorney. “The mitigation of repetitive loss properties is a priority of both the Outer Banks Regional Hazard Mitigation Plan and State of NC Hazard Mitigation Plan, and we are grateful for the opportunity to enhance our community resilience to coastal hazards.”

FEMA funds 75% of project costs, with the remaining 25% funded by the state. The Hazard Mitigation Grant program funds projects that help create long-term solutions to reduce risks from repetitive hazards, such as flooding. More information on North Carolina’s recovery from Hurricane Florence and other natural disasters is available from the NC Department of Public Safety.