Application period open for low income heating assistance
The Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) helps eligible families afford their primary heating expense by providing a one-time annual payment directly to their heating vendor, such as an electric, gas or fuel oil company. This program is facilitated by the Department of Social Services.
Social Services will take LIEAP applications from December 1 – 30, 2022 for households containing a member age 60 and older OR containing a disabled person (receiving SSI, SSA Disability or VA Disability payments), who is also receiving a service through the Department of Aging and Adult Services.
- If you received a letter stating you are auto eligible because of the following: (1) You are in the “December eligible group” as explained above, and (2) You received LIEAP last year, and (3) You are currently receiving Food Nutrition Services benefit, then you do not have to apply. Please refer to the letter mailed out on November 10, 2022 for more information.
- Applications for all other households will be accepted from January 3 – March 31, 2023, unless all funds have been exhausted.
Applicants are not required to bring anything with them to apply, however the following items will expedite the application process:
- The account number (or bill) for their heating vendor.
- Proof of all income for each person living in the home.
- Social security numbers, if available.
Additional information about this program can be viewed at: https://www.ncdhhs.gov/divisions/social-services/energy-assistance/low-income-energy-assistance-lieap.
You can apply for LIEAP online at https://epass.nc.gov/. You can also apply in person at the Department of Social Services, or you can print out a paper application from https://epass.nc.gov/, which can then be dropped off, emailed, faxed, or mailed.
For more information, please contact the Currituck County Department of Social Services at 252-232-3083.